ELB allows you to control load balancing actions by yourself. A web-based self-service management console is provided to allow you to configure the ELB service with ease and to quickly add services to implement load balancing among service resources.
ELB provides the following functions:
- Traffic distribution across availability zones (AZs), improving reliability and maintainability
- Elastic automatic scaling based on traffic demands
- Linear capacity expansion, eliminating SPOFs
- Support for public network load balancers, which receive requests from clients over the Internet and route the requests to your ECSs.
- Support for private network load balancers, which receive requests from clients in your VPC and route the requests to your ECSs in the subnets.
- Layer 4 and layer 7 load balancing
- Support for ELB monitoring metrics, such as incoming and outgoing traffic, new requests, concurrent requests, incoming and outgoing data packets, active connections, inactive connections
- Working with Cloud Eye (CES) to display monitoring metrics and to allow alarm thresholds to be configured
- Working with AS to implement automatic scaling based on service workload